The 1870 Town moor improvement Act determent that 2x35 acres of land to be developed for recreational purposes – one at the near by Leazes area and one at the Town moor. Plans were drawn up and an estimated cost approved. Plans were submitted in 1881 and an agreed sum of £2,000 was to be spread over a two-year period.
In 1886 the Mayor of Newcastle requested the use of the Bull Park to hold the Royal Jubilee Exhibition in 1887 to commemorate Queen Victoria’s 50th year on the throne. The Bull Park was where the City’s bull was penned for stud. The site was the wedge of land at the corner of Claremont Road and the Great North Road. Later this land was cleared to build the Hancock Museum. The organising committee realised that the Bull Park was to small for the Exhibition and further requested Town moor recreation ground. This is where the current park is now.
The Royal Jubilee Exhibition was duly held in 1887 and proved a tremendous success and attracted two million (2,000,000) visitors
The name Exhibition Park was first used during the Jubilee Exhibition of 1887 but the old name of Bull Park persisted for some time.
The only remaining item from the 1887 Exhibition is the bandstand and all other temporary buildings and structures were removed and the grounds reinstated.
This exhibition was held at the Exhibition Park from May to October 1929 and was opened by H R H the Prince of Wales on 14th May 1929 to 50,000 spectators. It was a symbol of pride and industrial success of the region and at the same time an advertisement for local industry and commerce. The military museum is the only building still remaining in the park today from this exhibition.
Here is a link to the museum site and it shows that there was once a bridge over the lake.
A few shots of the model railway which is slowly being restored.
View from the south.
(Image from April 1973)
Newcastle City Council - Exhibition Park