Keelmans Hospital

In 1699 the keelmen of Newcastle decided to build the Keelmen's Hospital, a charitable foundation for sick and aged keelmen and their families. The keelmen agreed to contribute one penny a tide from the wages of each keel's crew and Newcastle Corporation made land available in Sandgate.

The hospital was completed in 1701 at a cost of £2,000. It consisted of fifty chambers giving onto a cloister enclosing a grass court. One matter of contention relating to the hospital was that the funds for its maintenance were kept in the control of the Hostmen, lest they be used as a strike fund by the keelmen.

The hospital building still remains in City Road, Newcastle, and was used for student accommodation until recently. The building is now on the Heritage at Risk register. It has stood vacant since the closure of the student accommodation, and was added to the register in 2009.

Description courtesy of Wikipedia.






17th February 2022








10th February 2021








15th December 2020








21st September 2020








24th December 2018








8th June 2014








6th March 2012




The building has now been empty for some time and it looks like it is falling into a state of disrepair which is a real shame as it is a fantastic building packed with history.






8th June 2007














24th May 2007










More Information:
See my other photos around City Road:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lived in Keelman's 1979-1980. There was a beautiful cherry tree in the square in the centre of the building.

Newcastle Photos said...

The last time I passed the place it was boarded up around the back and it did'nt look like anyone lived their anymore.
I think I will pay another visit some time soon.

Anonymous said...

As a child in the 1950s i lived in this god forsaken place, gas lights, cold water, outside taps, outside toilets, mice, rats,cockroaches and bugs that fed off me as i slept i was surrounded by the lowest forms of life, this place was a left over from Dickens and to top all that the place is haunted. With spirits so powerfull, they freeze you rigid when you are awake. It was a blessing when the council condemned it as unfit for human habitation. I often pass this place and still today it sends a shiver down my spine. This is a listed building in need of repair, when the work is complete it would be a good idea for the Council to call in an exorist or better still before the work starts. Do not under estimate this place

Anonymous said...

This was a wonderful characterful place to live as an undergraduate. I had a great self-contained, large studio flat with a riverside view- unbelievable! It's a short walk into town or the University and was around the corner from the Riverside Club. It was comparatively cheap and I feel very privileged for the two years I spent there. I know the whole landscape has been redeveloped around this area. The council was a great landlord and I really hope they haven't let this building run into neglect.

julie agnes said...

I loved living here. I had beautiful studio flat lots of fantastic memories and great parties in the courtyard.

Anonymous said...

I lived here as an undergrad student in the mid nineties.
It was an amazing place and looking back I feel incredibly lucky.
I had a large studio flat looking out down the river. The university and city centre were a 15 minute walk away. Saw some amazing bands at the Riverside club too, literally around the corner. Newcastle City Council we’re terrific landlords- I wish they’d maintained the place and others still had the chance to live there affordably whilst studying.

Stuart Veitch said...

My family lived there for quite a few generations up until 1936 when they went down to London following the Jarrow March. Sadly now down to the last member of the family from that era, but all always spoke fondly of the place.