Cullercoats is part of the North Tyneside conurbation, sitting between Tynemouth and Whitley Bay. There is a semi-circular sandy beach with cliffs and caves, and the village is a popular destination for day-trippers. The name is thought to derive from Dove (or Culver) Cotes.
Historically the village depended on fishing; there was also local coal mining in so-called bell pits. The coal was used to fire salt pans (now long gone) on the field now known as the boat field. As a port, Cullercoats was used to export both salt and coal. However, the salt industry declined and the growth of the railways led to coal shipments being relocated to better harbours. This left fishing as the main industry and two piers were built on either side of the harbour to provide shelter for the many open top fishing vessels, or cobles, launched from the harbour.
Text harvested from Cullercoats - Wikipedia
The station was first opened by the North Eastern Railway in 1882, and the original station buildings are still in use, although now for the Tyne and Wear Metro.
Cullercoats Radio was the only Coastal Station that did not originate from the Marconi Company, the Admiralty or Lloyds. It was built in 1908 and taken over by the Post Office in March 1912. More information and lots of photos.
- Cullercoats - Wikipedia
- Cullercoats Lifeboat Online - Saving Lives At Sea
- Cullercoats Conservation Area Character Appraisal