Wallsend Parks - The Arboretum


The Arboretum to the North West of Richardson Dees Park (off Princes Road) also marks the site of the former Wallsend C Pit. It was donated in 1897, by Mr. Robert Richardson Dees along with the site of Richardson Dees Park, to provide a public park for the local community of Wallsend.

The Arboretum was planted at a later date than the formal park and today provides an oasis of calm, a tranquil space for the enjoyment of the local community to escape from the hustle and bustle of modern life.

It also offers an important refuge to wildlife with its natural wildflower meadows, trees and the burn with its reedbeds. One of the borough's Wildlife Corridors runs through the arboretum, Richardson Dees Park and Civic Hall Grounds before joining up with Wallsend Dene/Willington Gut and journeying down to the river Tyne.


Description courtesy of northtyneside.gov.uk - Wallsend Parks


May 2014




















May 2008













No comments: